Schools honor Veterans with special programs | Community Spirit
Pinellas County, FL -- From kindergarteners to those in adult education, students in Pinellas County Schools will take time this Friday to honor the service men and women who have given so much in defense of this country.
Here’s a list of schools with the details of their Veterans Day observances:
- Dunedin High Memorial Stadium, 1651 Pinehurst Rd., 9-10 a.m., District administrators and City of Dunedin officials in attendance. Ceremony to include patriotic music, presentation of colors, flags ceremony, drill team performance, 21-gun salute, Highlander Band and Chorus, and veterans recognition from each branch of the Armed Services. Contact CDR Schock/GySgt Wilson, (727) 469-4100, ext. 2049.
- Fuguitt Elementary, 13010 101st St., Largo. Two special assemblies 1:40-2:05 p.m. and 2:10-2:40 p.m. Pinellas County Color Guard will present colors, Marine Corp League, and guest speaker Cpl John Residence, Iwo Jima survivor and famous flag-raising photo witness. Students sing patriotic songs and essay contest winners recognized. Veteran’s Wall of Honor recognizing veterans from the school community. Contact Michael Moss, (727) 588-3579.
- Garrison-Jones Elementary, 3133 Garrison Rd, Dunedin, 9 a.m., school assembly with chorus patriotic songs and student readings. Proclamation from the President of the United States read by principal. Veterans attending will be introduced and receive certificate of gratitude for service. Contact Susan Manche/Barb Karcher, (727) 469-5716.
- Lake St. George Elementary, 2855 CR 95, Palm Harbor. The annual Veterans Day parade and celebration begins 9 a.m. at the PE court led by a VFW Color Guard and military representation from the five branches. Program includes Taps, student essays and student chorus with a potential flyover from the Coast Guard C-130 aircraft. Contact Marsha Bergreen, (727) 669-1161.
- Mildred Helms Elementary, 561 Clearwater-largo Rd S., Largo, 8-8:30 a.m. PTA hosted breakfast for veterans and families followed by a parade with patriotic music and students waving the American flag. Contact Amy Nadzan, (727) 204-4604.
- Palm Harbor Middle, 1800 Tampa Rd. Two programs are scheduled- 9:40 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. in the school courtyard. The Wall of Remembrance will be the highlight of the school’s annual Veterans Day observance with more than 800 names of relatives, staff and community handwritten by Tony George, Tech Ed teacher. George and his shop class built the wall in 1986 in dedication to Tony’s brother who was killed during WW II. Ceremony includes guest speaker Specialist Mark Hatch, US Army; Clearwater High Marine Corps Jr. ROTC Drill Team, patriotic speeches by students, musical pieces and the placing of flowers on each name on the wall. Contact Tony George, (727) 669-1146.
- Safety Harbor Middle, 901 First Ave. N, Annual assembly 10 a.m. Veterans and Military Affairs Liaison Kristen Sellas will be guest speaker. Chorus and band will perform patriotic numbers, and Boy Scouts will present the colors. Contact Chris Bobrovetski, (727) 724-1400.