Our network

Families

Fire leaves Largo family homeless

Fire leaves Largo family homeless

Largo, Florida - The American Red Cross is helping a Largo family today after their home burned down overnight.

Investigators released this information: "Detectives are investigating a residential fire in unincorporated Largo. Deputies responded to the fire at a private residence located at 1263 20th Avenue SW about 1:40 a.m. on Sunday, December 12, 2010.

According to detectives, 34-year-old George Bugarin was putting out a fire pit in the front yard of the residence. Detective say he removed a piece of firewood from the pit that he thought had not heated, and placed it back into a pile of wood next to a wooden door of the home. He went inside the home to retire for the evening.

A short time later the family smelled smoke. When they went into the garage, which is a converted room, they saw the fire just outside the home. The family exited the residence and attempted unsuccessfully to put the fire out with a garden hose.