Photo Gallery | Help keep Clearwater Fire's wreath green this holiday
Clearwater, Florida -- Clearwater Fire & Rescue has partnered with Super Target to kick off the "Keep the Wreath Green" campaign for the holidays.
The program is designed to raise fire safety awareness for residents and businesses and encourage them to decorate safely this holiday season.
On Thursday, Clearwater Fire & Rescue firefighters gathered to hang a 72" wreath decorated with green lights, donated by Super Target at Clearwater Mall. For every fire that is determined to be related to holiday decorations, one bulb will be changed to red. The object is to keep all bulbs on the wreath green.
Local firefighters say they hope this will help raise awareness about the potential hazards of holiday decorations.
For ways to keep your holiday fire-free see the tips below:
- Choose holiday decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini light sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. Read manufacturer's instructions for number of LED strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
- Blow out lit candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
- When the tree becomes dry, remove it from your home right away.